Studying the Word - Grasping a Passage
This lesson is the second part of the series titled Studying God’s Word and is subtitled Grasping a Passage. In it, we examine how to study a passage in three phases. Those phases are observation, interpretation, and application.
- Read Repeatedly
- Know the Context
- Dictionary - English
- Multiple Translations
- Attempt to interpret without aids.
- Cross Reference
- Use commentaries and other sources.
- What does it teach me about God?
- What does it teach me about me?
- What should I do in response?
Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: –Isaiah 28:9-10