Update - 4/2/14
Funding Berea Project
Berea Project was created as a free resource for churches and individuals. Like any other ministry there are operating costs and those will grow as the site grows. Berea Project will need to pay for hosting services and equipment and I will have to devote more time to the site. If we grow enough I would like to have events and an editor. It will be some time before we get to that point but I believe in thinking long term and being a good steward. To that end I have been considering how to fund the site as it grows.
After looking at several funding models I have chosen the "value for value" model. It is based on the patronage model. When a creator creates quality content on a regular basis and his audience finds value in it they can patronize the work that he is doing. Any given patron may give as little or as much as they wish on a regular basis. As a whole they are able to fund the greater work. I particularly like this model because it is not just concerned with money or with one piece of content. People can contribute financially as well as with time and expertise. If you cannot afford to contribute financially you can give back in other ways. This is about developing a community to create resources to spread the gospel.
Creating a community is at the heart of Berea Project so I wanted to find a way to collect funds that also perpetuates that community. This is where Patreon excels. Patreon is a site that allows patrons to find creative projects and pledge finances towards their ongoing work. Patreon has several advantages for Berea Project and our patrons over other methods.
- Patrons can make and manage their own accounts. Berea Project will never handle your credit card information.
- Patrons can choose or change the amount they wish to contribute at any time.
- Patreon accepts many forms of currency.
- Patrons get privileges for supporting at various levels. Example: Commenting privileges.
- Patrons will have access to a news and activity area of Patreon.
- Patrons can make their contributions private.
- Transactions are automatically processed at the end of the month.
- Anyone can see how many people have contributed and what the total contributions are. Patrons cannot see how much another patron has contributed.
- Berea Project can set milestone goals at which features and services will be funded. Example: Equipment and service upgrades.
Patreon provides Berea Project with the community options and convenience that allows us to grow and serve the kingdom effectively. The account has been made but I have not opened it up to the public yet. I want to have the site closer to launch before patrons begin to come on board. This will give me time to decide which perks to offer patrons that do not interfere with the free nature of the site. I have some ideas but will discuss that at a later time. I will post a link here and on other parts of the site when I feel the site is ready for patrons.
For more information on how Patreon works go to http://www.patreon.com/faq.